|Microcurrent stimulation for macular degeneration is one of many different therapies Dr. Edward Kondrot, MD. uses for his patients.|
Ophthalmologist and Doctor of Homeopathy
1. First tell us a little about yourself, your credentials, your practice and how you got interested in homeopathic medicine.
I am a Board Certified Ophthalmologist and a Certified Homeopath (Doctor of Homeotherapeutics). I host the weekly talk radio show Healthy Vision every Sunday Evening and I have written 3 books on eye health:
2. Microcurrent Stimulation: Miracle Eye Cure
was released summer of 2012.
I became interested in Homeopathy when my severe case of adult onset asthma was cured with one homeopathic remedy. Shortly after this I have devoted my practice to the alternative treatments of chronic eye disease.
My practice is located in Dade City, Florida and I hold Medical Licenses in Florida, Arizona, California, and Pennsylvania.
Microcurrent Stimulation as a Macular Degeneration Treatment
2. How did you discover microcurrent stimulation as a possible treatment for AMD?
I first heard about about Microcurrent in 1998. When I read about the famous golfer Sam Snead’s dramatic improvement in his eye sight which was reported by Tim Franklin Publisher of the Hot Springs Star on March 17, 1998.
Sam was quoted as saying, “I am going to get a driver’s license next year. I shortly afterwards called Joel Rossen, the manufacturer of the microcurrent device and ordered 10 machines to treat several of my macular degeneration patients. I was surprised that 7 out of the 10 patients I treated had a significant improvement of vision!
I had the pleasure of treating Sam Snead in 2000. He gave me golf lessons in exchange for a week of microcurrent treatments. His vision improved but sadly he could not help my golf game!
Since that time there has been a lot of advancement in microcurrent compared to the early instrumentation.
How Microcurrent Stimulation Works
3. Explain how MCS works and specifically how it aids in the treatment of macular degeneration and in the health of our eyes.
Microcurrent has been widely used since the 1970’s to treat muscular conditions in athletes, orthopedic healing, facial rejuvenation and more recently eye conditions such as macular degeneration and glaucoma.
Microcurrent works in 5 basic ways:
1) Improves Circulation
2) Stimulates Cellular Activity.
Cheng published a paper showing that there is a 500% increase in cell activity after low levels of microcurrent
3) Reduces Scar Tissue
4) Reduces Inflammation
5) Stimulates Stem Cell Activity
All of the above points help to reduce inflammation, improve circulation, stimulate cellular activity and reduce scar tissue in cases of macular degeneration.
Microcurrent Stimulation Research
4. Are there any studies or research that shows MCS to be effective in AMD treatment?
Microcurrent improves vascular circulation
1) Kjartansson J, Lundberg T 1990 Effects Of Electrical Nerve Stimulation (ENS) In Ischemic Tissue. Scandinavian Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Hand Surgery 24: 129-134
2) Debreceni L, Gyulai M, Debreceni A, Szabo K 1995 Results Of Transcutaneous Electrical Stimulation (TES) In Cure Of Lower Extremity Arterial Disease. Angiology 46: 613-618.
3) Kaada B 1982 Vasodilation Induced By Transcutaneous Nerve Stimulation In Peripheral Ischemia (Raynauds Phenomenon And Diabetic Polyneuropathy). European Heart Journal 3:303-314
4) Kaada B 1983 Promoted Healing Of Chronic Ulceration By Transcutaneous Nerve Stimulation. (TNS) VASA 12: 262-269
Microcurrent improves cellular activity
1) Cheng, Ngok, The Effects Of Electrical Current On ATP Generation, Protein Synthesis And Membrane Transport In Rat Skin, Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, 171 (Nov.-Dec. 1982) 264-271
Microcurrent and Macular Degeneration
1) Edward C. Kondrot, MD. Microcurrent Stimulation: Miracle Eye Cure. Berekley, CA North Atlantic Books: 1999
2) Kondrot, EC, Initial results of Microcurrent Stimulation in the treatment of Age related Macular Degeneration 2000 Townscend Newsletter
3) Michael, OD, Leland D. and Merrill J. Allen, OD, Ph.D., Nutritional Supplementation, Electrical Stimulation and Age Related Macular Degeneration. Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, 8 third Quarter (1993) Number 3
4) Miller, MD, ND Damon P, The treatment of Macular degneration, Stargardts Disease, Retinitis Pigmentosa and Other Retinal Disease with Microcurrent Stimulation Therapy , 2000
Wet and Dry Macular Degeneration Patients
4. Who is a candidate for MCS? How about patients who are at high risk of developing AMD but do not currently have any of the early signs of it?
Most of the patients we evaluate and treat have long standing ARMD. Unfortunately many of them are abandoned by traditional medicine. “Nothing more can be done” .
The best candidates are those with early macular degeneration but even folks with advanced changes can benefit.
Benefits to Macular Degeneration Patients
5. What kind of results have you seen in AMD patients? Does it benefit everyone?
I have seen great results with Microcurrent in the treatment of Macular degeneration. Over 90% of patients will have a significant improvement of their vision.
Macular Degeneration Treatment Protocol
6. Give us more details about treatment protocols. Is it done only in the doctor’s office? How long are the treatment sessions and how frequent should a person administer MCS?
I feel very strongly that Microcurrent should be done initially under the supervision of a trained eye doctor. This is why we have established our 3 day treatment program. The program consists of a thorough eye exam and general health exam.
As a homeopathic doctor I am interested in treating the whole person, not just the eyes. We look at not only the eye problem but also other physical problems and emotional issues that are contributing to the eye problem. Nutrition is also a big part of the program as many patients with ARMD are so nutritionally deficient that they need nutritional IV therapy along with the microcurrent.
During the 3 days patients will receive 4 microcurrent treatments a day. During this time we are evaluating the parameters of current and frequency to optimize the microcurrent settings.
At the end of the 3 day the patient is then given their own customized microcurrent machine to use daily at home. Follow ups are also very important and we schedule these at one, 3 and 6 months. Since most of our patients travel a great distance we conduct these on over the telephone as long as patients supply us with a copy of records from their local eye doctor.
In order for microcurrent to be successful we must evaluate and treat the whole person!
Short Term or Long Term Side Effects?
7. What are the possible short term or long term side effects of MCS?
The FDA states that microcurrent should not be used with patients who have pacemakers or have a seizure disorder. I have used microcurrent in patients with these conditions but it is is necessary that we get a letter of clearance from their cardiologist or neurologist. Because of the extremely low current setting of the microcurrent machine there is very little risk.
Remember that microcurrent is not a miracle cure. We are trying to stop the progression and in most cases we see an improvement of vision. Just like any anti-aging technique is is necessary to continue the treatments along with other health suggestions and treatments we suggest.
The biggest risk is having the current too high. Some of the early microcurrent machines functioned with a “current adjust knob”. Patients could turn the current up to a very high level. I have found that a high current can adversely affect the eye. The machine we now use are “current constant”. They are programmed at a very low level of current and the patient can not change this level.
This is why it is important to initially do the microcurrent treatments under the supervision of an eye doctor.
More Information on Microcurrent Stimulation and Macular Degeneration
8. If a person is interested in finding out more about MCS and if it could benefit them what would be their next step and who should they contact.
Please visit my website at www.HealingTheEye.com or call the office for more info at 800-430-9328.
To your good health and clear vision!
Dr. Ed Kondrot
Source: Click Here